Getting into the swing of things now!
I’ve finally picked up a copy of several Adobe Creative Cloud apps, including Illustrator, Lightroom and Photoshop. This should make future endeavours go a lot smoother.
Until just recently, I’ve been dealing largely with free-to-use applications like GIMP and Sketch-Up, however I flt like I was being a little restricted.
And so, Firsty: I’ve already updated several Ruffitt Design related graphics to be vector-based, as well as correcting a font issue in the logo. Don’t even go looking, you won’t find it now… but I’m sure I’m the only person who every noticed.
And secondly: The site has been updated with a new layout (again) plus a new Illustrations section, which I’m going to flesh out over the next few weeks. Until then , I’ve just placed a couple of simple illustrations in there which are also available for purchase on RedBubble.
Pretty productive Monday, if you ask me!
Take a look if you get a chance! Currently using several photos, no illustrations as of yet.
Would you believe after all the time I spent on it yesterday, that once I got home I realised that the mobile/tablet portion was broken (thanks to my extensive use of CSS but lack of quality auditing).
Added another 20 lines of custom CSS as a workaround- the mobile menu is now completely separate from the desktop menu.
I love squarespace, but I don’t like how restrictive the default templates can be. But I guess that’s why they give us the option of the custom CSS injection on the overall style as well as the individual pages.
Added a PHOTOGRAHY section, because I realised that some of my captures would make excellent items to be w̶e̶a̶p̶o̶n̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ used as graphics for RedBubble.
I’ve been called in to spend some time doing electrical work at my parent’s renovated cottage, just a simple job to swap out the temporary white plastic sockets and switches to some nice dark metallic fittings. I was also asked to swap out the light, but it had to be something simple that would match the room:
I.E. Something modern, simple, dark coloured, and none of these cheap chrome monstrosities that Screwfix and B&Q tend to sell. I settled on this number linked below- certainly ticked all the boxes, and matches the wide old-styled open fireplace. (Will update this blog post with photos at a later date).
Nearly 3 years on, and I’m still not happy with the appearance of this website.
I’m very picky when it comes to stylistic choices, so naturally a website like this which is designed to showcase my work comes with it’s own challenges. Aesthetics can be affected by even the slightest thing, be it the choice of font (DIN Narrow 2014, formerly Lato), down to the slight indentation of the layout.
Over the last 3 years (August 2016), this website has been through probably nearly a dozen iterations and I’m sure that today’s change won’t be the last.
But I’ve got to say, I’m much happier for throwing caution to the wind and just straight-up redesigning the template. (Even if it does mean dropping the use of a particularly nice background image I made 6 months ago). It’s no use to get bogged down by something, even though you spent a long time making it.